Staying Relevant with Millennials

Over the long weekend I attended a craft show with my family after our Thanksgiving brunch. Our Grandma was keen on going and I’m always down to check out something new. When I arrived, I could tell that the craft show had been well thought out, organized and executed but nonetheless I felt that something was missing…millennials. Now I know what you’re thinking, why would millennials be interested in a craft show? Well here’s the thing, who wouldn’t be interested in a craft show? The products, artwork, and even the food showcased at this show were some of the best! Not to mention that a lot of the items are so unique and couldn’t just be found on Amazon or at your local mall. There was something for everyone and I couldn’t help but feel that this show would appeal to a much larger audience, aka millennials.

If you didn’t already know, millennials make up a huge portion of the population, and our generation is the largest in history. It has even been reported that by 2020 we will control $24 trillion dollars of wealth. If you haven’t felt that the millennial generation has affected your business yet, it’s really only a matter of time.

So if you have ever felt like your company or business misses the mark when trying to reach the millennial demographic, we’ve got you covered.

3 Tips On How To Stay Relevant With Millennials:

1. Use Social Media

We really can’t stress this enough. It’s very rare now for millennials to not check out a business on social before they buy or try! Most millennials are posting about their experiences with businesses and they are even sharing their own recommendations on anything, from the best places to eat, to the best places to get their dog groomed (millennials love pets). So, whether you’re a mom and pop shop or a large scale corporation, you need to be using social media. Social media allows you to claim your space in the social media world, and it allows you to promote your products and services. You don’t need to be on every single platform but you do need to find one that works for you. Once you do, whether it’s Instagram or Facebook, stay consistent with your posting schedule and your social media marketing strategy.

2. Tell Your Story

While social is great for promoting your products and services it is very important to not overload your audience with promotional material. Ideally you should be following the 90/10 rule. This means posting only 10% of promotional content and then posting a mix of informative, industry related and personal content for the remaining 90%. One great example of personal content would be telling your brand’s story. You need to do this so that you can connect with people, and of course millennials on another level. As a millennial myself, I can attest to the fact that we like to support companies and businesses that we feel like we know and trust. As much as we do a lot of things online, we still want to feel a personal connection to the businesses we buy things from. The more people know your story; the more people will choose to support you. This is because by being authentic, you have built their trust in your business.  

3. Use Video + Get Creative

Video is the most effective form of media to reach your audience, and millennials on social. If you already are on social, even with just your own personal account, surely you have noticed that almost every post is a video. They even start to automatically play as you scroll to them. You don’t need to be creating blockbuster film quality videos you just need to be creating relevant content that speaks to your target market. Use your creativity as an entrepreneur/business owner to create a video or content that would actually make someone stop to learn more. 

If you aren’t confident in your own creative abilities, there is always the option of contracting your social media out to an agency! You can work with them to ensure that your story gets told in a creative and authentic way.

Overall, if you’re able to implement these three simple tips into your marketing strategy, your business will be better for it. You will be much more effective in reaching the millennial demographic, and you will likely see an increase in engagement from your current audience if you are already on social. Staying relevant to millennials should not be something that your business overlooks. The social media world continues to evolve and grow and it is important for the longevity of any business for it to continue to evolve along with it.